Posted by Nicole
Running this past weekend has kind of inspired me. It taught me a few things.
- I can run further (farther?) than I think I can. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to complete a 5K while running the entire time. But I did.
- Trail runs are so great. Something about being in nature and running along a trail is much more empowering than running in a street or on a treadmill.
- I don’t like distance, but I like speed.
- Electronic/house music gets my legs in some serious action. Playlists coming soon, I promise.
- Participating in a run with someone by your side is good. But, leaving them and running your own pace is very important. Going with Lauren was so fun, but I’m glad we didn’t have to run with each other. Mostly because I would not be able to keep up with her HA.
- The post race adrenaline rush is unbeatable. Crossing a finish line and having people cheering is a unique experience. Even if you don’t know any of the people, you still feel like you’ve accomplished something worth applause.
My mom started running when she joined Team in Training about 6 years ago. She fell in love and you could tell that running really made her feel healthier, better, more social, and just happier. Lauren ran her first half marathon with my mom a few years ago. This half went accross the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, something that I can only imagine as amazing. According to my mom, Lauren was jumping over the orange cones and pushing my mom to go faster. Basically, they are both runners, and I am not. But I think I’m willing to jump on the runner-wagon.
With the new insights from this past weekend, I decided with myself that I want to start running more often. I’m not sure how this is going to progress and I don’t want to make a complicated running schedule to keep myself “on track.” I think my personal way of incorporating running will be to give myself a mileage goal per week. This week, I decided my goal would be 14 miles. 14 miles equates to 2 miles per day. Considering I did 3.1 on Sunday, I thought this would be a good place to start the road to becoming a “runner.”
If at anytime I feel that my mileage goals are unrealistic, I will back off. This does not mean I won’t be achieving my goals; it means I won’t become crazy obsessed with hitting my goals, especially if real pain is getting in my way.
I’m very excited to push myself to my limits. Always trying to run that extra .01 mile. Finding that running “zen” and enjoying the rhythm of movement. Making sure I fit running into my cardio workout schedule, not just incline walking/elliptical/bike etc. I think I am ready for a challenge.
So far, from Sunday-Tuesday, I have completed 7.6 miles of my goal 14 miles. A little bit at a time!
If any of you have tips on becoming a runner, please enlighten me! The more knowledge the better :)
In less serious news, here are some things that you don’t really want to know, but you will anyways.
– Yesterday after work, I ate lunch on my driveway, in the sun. I fell asleep for about 30 minutes, face down. I think my neighbors thought I was dead.
– Eating savory food for breakfast makes me want oatmeal like krazy for dinner!!!
– Today’s lunch included literally 7 cups of spinach. They reduced so much in the microwave. Lauren actually got angry with me for “being wasteful.” We fight when we are running out of spinach. We just love spinach too much, I guess.
– When making my breakfast sandwiches in the morning, I have been eating greek yogurt by the
spoonful knifeful. It’s dangerous, but worth it ;)
– Last night, Lauren pulled an almost all-nighter. By the time she was ready to pass out, she didn’t want to get a blanket. She improvised… with a bathrobe.
– I drank hot green tea today in this weather, and it was still wonderful.
– My dogs like to sleep in mud. They actually share the same spot. And I caught them each in the act…
– This is my favorite tupperware container. It is so miniature and I love it. Especially when it is filled with fresh blueberries.
– I own a completely 90s jean vest. Lauren borrowed it for kickball tonight because it is “80s theme“… even though I clearly told her it’s a 90s vest!
– To avoid getting another cavity, I’ve been flossing at long red lights. It works perfectly!
– I’m pretty sure my orange sports bra was showing ALL day at work… woopsie.
– I got my first paycheck today! Gettin’ pay-perrrrrrrrrrrr!!! What should I buy? Ok, who am I kidding. It needs to go into my savings account. Grr.
– Lauren and I are going to make How Sweet’s coconut shrimp very soon. Except we are going to sub grapefruit and peach in the pineapple salsa! Let us know if you wanna come over for dinner ;)
Anyways, happy trails and have a fantabulous Wednesday night :) It’s almost Friday!!!!!
Q4U: Are you a runner? Do you prefer long-distance or short-distance? Paved roads or trails?
Q4U: What are your favorite fruits to include in a salsa? Mango, pineapple, apple, orange, lemon, etc.