Posted by Nicole
Happy Monday everyone! Make your Monday much more joyful and make these now!
A few months back, Lauren sent me a link mentioning black bean “healthified” muffins. I checked out the link, and curiously read this awesome recipe for “Chocolate Banana Bites”
We altered the recipe a bit and this is what we came up with!
Black Bean Chocolate Muffins (makes 6)
- ½ can Reduced Sodium Black Beans
- 1 large banana
- ½ T cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Light Vanilla Soymilk
- 4 T Guittard’s Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- ½ T chia seeds
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350o and lightly mist a 6-cup muffin pan with baking spray.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until all combined.
- Pour mixture into the muffin pan (evenly distributed, about 2-3 Tbsp in each)
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- ** IMPORTANT ** Let them cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- After they cool, remove from pan and eat, refrigerate, or freeze.
These are sugarless, so sugar can definitely be added for more flavorful muffins!
These little babies were so cute! The muffin pan, a gift from our dad and family, created perfect little heart-shaped muffins. We immediately split one because we were anxious to try a muffin that included black beans as an ingredient! We really liked them; they were surprisingly full-textured. The banana flavor popped out quite a bit actually! In our house, we always have a supply of cream cheese frosting in the fridge from cupcake orders. Fork dipped in cream-cheese frosting and right into the chocolate muffin = yummy in thee tummy!
Overall, we liked these and will definitely make them in the future when our sweet-tooths are in full force. The only bad thing is that they take an hour to make! I guess we could freeze them so we always have a few at easy access ;) Try them out, and let us know what you think!
Q4U: Do you like black beans, or do you prefer pinto or refried beans?
Q4U: Have you ever cooked a dessert with beans?
Q4U: What are some healthy swaps you make in your desserts?