Posted by Nicole
I have been thinking very seriously about something for the past few weeks.
It is why my lunch was the following:
- 4 cups POWER greens mix
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 white onion sautéed with 1/2T balsamic vinegar, 1t spicy horseradish, 1t red cayenne pepper, 1/2t black pepper
- 2T Cedar’s garlic lovers hommus
And why dinner was this. Okay, it was more like a dessert:
- 1/2c oat bran
- 2/3c frozen strawberries
- 1/2T cocoa powder
- 1/2T cinnamon
- 1/2T sweetener
And a plum. Not from our plum tree, unfortunately; twas delicious nonetheless. And lots of other snacks: crunchy peanut butter, cashews, natural applesauce, carrots/celery with crazy amounts of hummus.
I have not had fish in about a month. Last time was probably at our wonderful Father’s Day BBQ.
I have been cutting back on eggs and dairy. Minus the greek yogurt I’ve been eating by the spoonful. Minus all the indulgent desserts in Illinois. You know what they say, “go big or go home.” Well now I’m home. I’m making some changes.
I have been buying new foods to try: lentils, tofurky, smart hot dogs, sweet potatoes, hummus (sooooo much hummus)…
And now the
dreaded word. V-E-G-A-N.
Don’t get mad at me. Lauren already has that covered ;)
Hey, Lauren (and other disbelievers), LOTS of things are “accidentally” vegan.
- Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs (yea, I know you love them)
- Rice Krispies, Froot Loops, Golden Grahams, Plain Cheerios, Reese’s PB Puffs, (most) Chex, Kix, Trix, Life, Cocoa Puffs, Unfrosted Mini Wheats
- Hershey’s Syrup
- Kraft balsamic, italian, french, and catalina dressings
- Ragu pizza sauce
- Unfrosted PopTarts
- Lay’s potato chips, blue corn chips, stax
- Quaker Apple Cinnamon Rice Cakes
- Oreos, Nutter Butters, Teddy Grahams (choc & cinn)
- Nature Valley Bars (apple, maple brown sugar, peanut butter, oats and dark chocolate)
- Ritz crackers
- Ruffles (plain, bbq)
- Sun Chips (original)
- Swedish Fish, Airheads, Cracker Jacks, Famous Amos cookies, Fruit by the Foot
- Triscuits (most)
- Wheat Thins (plain, multigrain)
- Kool Aid, Monster energy drinks, Red Bull
- Keebler Club crackers
- Kettle salt & vinegar chips, white popcorn
- Baker’s unsweetened chocolate squares
- Betty Crocker Bisquik, Aunt Jemima pancake mix
- Duncan Hines California Walnut Brownie Mix, creamy homestyle frosting (choc, classic vanilla, french vanilla)
- Hodgson Mill (bran muffin mix, white bread mix, whole wheat gingerbread mix)
- Jell-O (pistachio, banana creme, lemon, vanilla)
- Ore-Ida fries, tater tots
- Keebler Fudge Shoppe fudge pops
- Edys no-sugar bars, whole fruits bars
- Kashi frozen meals (some)
- Luigi’s italian ice
(TO NAME A FEW)
I was going to wait until I started my sophomore year at USC in a month, but screw it. I currently am lucky enough to have a beautiful kitchen to start cooking (vegan) in. I am going to be educated, learn through the process, and stay healthy. Keep in mind, I have been thinking about this for at least 3 weeks. I first mentioned my idea to Kelly while we were gyming a while back. I told Lauren only a few days ago while we were eating at Sopo, and she said it felt like we were breaking up. Don’t worry Lauren, I will still accompany you on food dates and cook up a storm with you.
While I’m “transitioning,” I should probably ditch my exponentially increasing addiction to soda. Why must it taste soooooo good?
I’ll be posting about how things are going, how I am learning more about veganism, and other related topics of interest. I already know I am going to do a full post on the vitamins and minerals that are often neglected in a vegan diet… mostly for my own benefit.
If you are interested in becoming vegetarian (or maybe vegan), check out this PETA article, “Making the Transition” for some tips and introductory information. Heck, wanna pledge to be vegan for 30 days? Click it or ticket. Not really though, everyone is welcome to their own food decisions!
On a different note, I am loving The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I’m going to be like Emma and abbreviate it (NRLW) for future reference. Here is a sneak peek of Lou Schuler’s wisdom.
“there’s nothing a man’s muscles can do that a woman’s can’t”
I’m off to read more, I can’t wait to get to the workouts in the latter part of the book! Then it’s bedtime. Hopefully Blade and Zoe don’t wake me up too early tomorrow morning ;)
Q4U: OK SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, I need major advice for which vegan protein powder to buy–> (One that is NOT Sunwarrior. Or chalky. And preferably flavored and LOW-sugar)
I NEED MY PROTEIN. Help me.
Q4U: Any tips to ease my transition? All advice/recipes are greatly appreciated!!! Any vegan blogs I should start following for easy and creative recipes?
I already follow a few vegan blogs, but I really want some more. Other people’s ideas tend to spark my mind in creative ways.
18 comments on “That 5 Letter Word.”
Pingback: NON-Vegan Lunches | Sugar Coated Sisters
Leave a Reply Cancel reply