Posted by Nicole
!!! Happy December !!! It’s officially time to deck the halls and all that fun stuff.
[at home, with Mason]
[at Santana Row, with Lauren and my mom]
[at Delta Gamma, with the sistas]
What better way to kick-off the festive month than without a workout update? Okay, okay. Cake would be better. But still.
Previous Fitness: Update + Tips Posts
- Fitness: Update + Tips 7/28
- Fitness: Update + Tips 8/2
- Fitness: Update + Tips 8/14
- Fitness: Update + Tips 9/15
- Fitness: Update + Tips 10/10
- Fitness: Update + Tips 11/15
Alright. As Jay-Z would say, On to the Next One.
1. New gadgets!!! It sure feels like Christmas came early because I’ve been spoiled with amazing new running gadgets.
On Black Friday, Lauren and I each ordered a Garmin Forerunner 305. We’ve been wanting Garmins for a while and we finally ordered them. Each one was $170, and because I am an Amazon Student Member we got free 3 day shipping. Swag.
My mom generously bought me these CEP Compression Socks. I tried on Lauren’s pair after the Turkey Trot and fell in love. They make your legs feel ah-mazing. Too bad they are $60 bucks a pair… but the compression sleeves are only $35. They’re worth it though, at least I think so (my mom’s wallet might not agree…)
2. Nike Training Club in Santa Monica, CA. One of my DG sisters mentioned a free Nike workout at the Nike store in SM. I went with my “big” and a few of our friends and got sweeeeeattttyy!!! Every Tuesday and Wednesday night, the Nike store offers free Nike Training Club classes. You all know the app, right?
The app is free for iPhone, and I’ve used it a few times when I felt like mixing up my workout. On Tuesday night, the Nike store offered a free NTC class with a real fitness instructor. The workout was about an hour and had me working muscles that I forgot existed. We also got to try on the NEW Nike Free Training Shoes. I AM IN LOVE.
These shoes, like other Nike Frees, are “minimalist” and allow for natural foot movements. Unlike the running version that I currently use (and love), these shoes have a triangle pattern on the sole of the shoe. They specialize in front, back, and side movements that typically occur during training workouts. AND they double as running shoes. Seriously, awesome.
I’ll take a size 9 in the bright orange, please and thanks! Another cool thing is that these shoes are part of the Winter collection, and they offer warmth for the cold conditions. AND they are more waterproof than standard running shoes. AND they are cheaper than the Nike Running Frees. If you’re not convinced, read my Twitter feed and listen to me beg for a pair :)
Overall, the Nike Training Club class was really fun and interactive; I forgot how fun it is to workout in a group. Also, I got some free running swag for participating!
This cold-wear, dri-fit long sleeve will be great for the “cold” LA weather this winter ;) Thanks, Nike of Santa Monica, for the sweaty workout and stylish gear!
3. The book I’ve been reading for a while now… is still so interesting!
Go check it out if you’re looking for an easy read that you can set down and pick up whenever you have a free moment. Highly suggested for beginner or expert runners.
4. Protein bars that double as candy bars! I’m not sure why it has taken me so long to realize that health bars seriously taste like candy. I’d eat this over M&Ms anyday!
This Clif Builder’s protein bar has 20g of protein and it tastes awesome. Cookies ‘n cream = almost better than chocolate peanut butter.
5. Workout Jam of the week! This song has good tempo for crunches, bicycle crunches, cardio, etc.
6. Keeping up with daily workouts. Here’s what the past week has looked like.
- Thursday (Thanksgiving): Turkey Trot 10K
- Friday: 2 mile walk with my mom
- Saturday: 3+ mile walk/hike with my friend
- Sunday: 17 mins treadmill (1.7 miles), 20 mins run *outside* (1.5 miles)
- Monday: 50 mins elliptical, 16 mins stationary bicycle, ab circuit
- Tuesday: 21 mins treadmill (1.75 miles), 15 mins elliptical, 15 mins stationary bicycle, Nike workout *mentioned above*
- Wednesday: 62 mins treadmill (4.56 miles), ab circuit
Oblique side bends (with a 25 lb plate) feel awesome, by the way.
7. MAX U Fitness post! Check it out if you haven’t read enough of my rambles yet ;)
That’s all folks. Let’s make this December delightful and delicious. <– SO GOOD.
Q4U: What is/was your workout today? Any intense moves/intervals that I should try out?
Lauren’s TwitterMy Tweets
Nicole’s TwitterMy Tweets