Posted by Nicole
Compared to what I said in my last post, I branched out and actually “cooked” in the kitchen. I have been so interested in trying kabocha squash because many people say how delicious it is. I love spaghetti squash, so I figured, why not?
I was nervous to actually “cook” the squash, so I got advice via Twitter. Tara gave me tips on how to roast the squash… but it would require 45 minutes. I’m lazy and impatient, so I decided to try my easy/quick spaghetti squash method and it worked out perfectly!
[sorry for the iPhone photos]
1. Cut the squash in half.
2. Remove the seeds/strings.
4. Place half the squash, open-side down in the dish. Fill with ~1/2 cup of hot water. Cover dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap.
5. Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
6. Remove dish from microwave *it will be hot* and flip squash over. Remove any additional strings that came loose.
7. Sprinkle with garlic powder and eat [straight out of the skin if you're lazy like moi] with a side of protein. I had an egg scramble with spinach, nooch, garlic powder, pepper, and tapatio. I also used some of TJ’s Organic Spaghetti Squash w/ Mushrooms for extra flavor on the squash.
Another success… I flipped an omelette for the first time! Considering how many omelettes [AKA egg scrambles] I make, this was pretty exciting.
AND another success, I actually made it to the gym in the morning. I’ve been waking up anytime from noon – 2PM [I know, I'm terrible] so getting out of bed at 7:15 to go to the gym was a bit of a struggle. Not to mention it was freezing outside!!!
Whoever said California winters are a joke needs a reality check.
ps- the ONLY reason I went to the gym early was because we are headed to Groveland/Yosemite today! My mom, David, David’s son Sam [the cannoli master], and I are driving 3 hours to leave the sunny Bay Area and see this…
It’s going to be a great change of scenery :)
Q4U: Kabocha Squash or Spaghetti Squash?
I think I’m gonna be loyal and stick to my spaghetti squash lover.
Q4U: What was your workout today?
30 mins elliptical [lazy level 8] + 40 mins treadmill [1 mile run, the rest was incline walking...] + hopefully we’ll go on a walk/hike this afternoon :)
*** I think I said lazy one.too.many.times this post. I’m too lazy to find synonyms.