Posted by Lauren
Answers to the trivia questions at the end of my last post:
- O.J. Simpson – Who is the only player in NFL history to rush for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season? (we put Walter Peyton)
- New York City – What city and state was George Washington in when he was inaugurated? (we put Philadelphia, PA)
- Delaware – What was the first state to use Direct Recording Electronic Voting machines? (we put Rhode Island)
- Luna 2 – What was the first spacecraft to reach the surface of the moon? (no idea what we put…)
If you knew all the answers, please come out to Mountain View the next time we go to Trivia Night!
The star of the show: Cafe Du Monde beignets!
Cafe du Monde is a landmark French market in New Orleans that serves French beignets (aka donuts) and cafe au laits. When Kyle and his friends went to Mardi Gras last year, he brought back a box of their famous beignet mix. This is our second (successful!) attempt at the donuts.
- Mix 2 cups of mix and 7 fluid ounces of water. Stir with a spoon until blended.
- Roll to 1/8″ thickness (I think I rolled it too thin with my wine-bottle-rolling-pin) on floured surface. Cut into 2 1/4″ squares (ours were a little larger than that)
- Fry in an inch or two of oil at 370* until puffy and light golden. Drain well.
- Enjoy while hot!
You can’t just eat donuts for breakfast, so we also prepped some crispy hash browns and scrambled egg whites.
Coffee for me. Tea for him. Beignets for all!
Only the first few puffed up like they should, the oil wasn’t hot enough for the others. Unfortunately, we didn’t have any powdered sugar to sprinkle on top. Instead we dipped these in maple syrup, not a bad swap!
After a big breakfast, we headed out for a walk along the creek.
Round trip distance = 6 miles.
Croaking toads, sunshine, pretty views…..
When we returned, it was time to figure out what to do for lunch. The fridge was pretty bare, but we made it work! Boca burger + bacon + peanut sauce + salad with thai basil and cilantro.
Then, we napped. It only seemed right.