Posted by Lauren
My Google Reader has more than just lifestyle, food, and running blogs. I’ve also got some RSS feeds that keep me aware of totally random things going on in the tech world, TV land, and elsewhere. I wanted to share a few recent news stories with all of you that I thought were interesting and then finish up with a Holiday/Christmas survey that’s been floating around!
- We all know that Instagram stopped supporting the Twitter Cards API, but Twitter is retaliating. On the iOS and Android Twitter apps, you can now add one of nine photo filters/effects.
- Along that line, Instagram upgraded their app as well. The camera experience is completely different, with an enhanced blur tool, larger images in the feed, and a new filter called Willow. BRB updating app…..
- People actually ‘salt their coffee.’ Supposedly it mellows out the bitterness of some brews. Strange?
- Possible uses of Snapchat. Nicole and I are fans of Mt. Vesuvius snapchats. LOL
- The Pope tweets! He sent his first message from a tablet… He’s so hip. Get him @Pontifex.
- Dropbox stole the creator of Python from Google, Guido Van Rossum. I can’t help but wonder what they offered him….
- Tahoe POWDER Alert! Last night North Lake Tahoe received 7 inches of snow, putting the base at Squaw at 63″. This is terrific news since I’ll be hopefully hitting the slopes in 2 weekends!
- If you’ve been watching Gossip Girl since 2007, raise your hand. On Monday, the series comes to an end with the reveal of Gossip Girl on “New York, I Love You XOXO.” It is the final chapter for many Upper East Siders! Can’t wait!
- Netflix won a multi-year deal with DISNEY. They are now the only US online video distributor to offer first-run animated and live-action Walt Disney films. This is cool and all, but won’t happen til 2016!
Survey time! Someone on GOMI said that all bloggers post about three things during the holidays: giveaways, playlists, and surveys. I thought that was kind of funny, and in true. In any case, here’s that Holiday survey bouncing from blog to blog:
1. Favorite Christmas album/CD/song? Amy Grant’s Breath of Heaven (I love the piano and spookiness)
2. Run on Christmas morning or take the day off? I’ve never gone on a Christmas morning run, maybe this is the year to start? What do you think, Nicole? We could run to dad’s house!
3. What do you usually eat on Christmas morning? On Christmas morning, Nicole and I typically go to our dad and Lauretta’s house to celebrate. Lauretta has a pot of hot coffee waiting along with an entire table full of delicious food: cinnamon rolls, veggie quiche, fruit salad…
4. Favorite holiday or Christmas tradition? Staying the night in San Francisco with my mom and sister for shopping and a nice dinner has quickly become one of my favorite *new* traditions. Growing up, I always enjoyed the road trip to our Grandma and Grandpa’s house in southern California. When we returned home a few days after Christmas, all of Santa’s presents were waiting for us… it was like Christmas all over again :)
5. Real tree, fake tree, or no tree? Fake tree is fine by me. Our mom made the switch to fake a few years ago and I didn’t mind. Usually our dad and Lauretta have a real tree. I, on the other hand, am not ready to set up a tree in my house. What is really important: great ornaments!
6. Christmas pajamas…. yay or nay? Hmm… I’m going to go with nay. I’ll just stick with normal sweats these days. When I was younger, I was all about the Christmas PJ’s though!
7. Where do you spend the holidays? Your own house, your parents’ house, extended family, in-laws, friends? Christmas Eve with mom, Christmas day with dad. I’ll miss Kyle this year… :(
8. Food that you always have during the holiday season? Favorite Christmas food/treat? Peppermint bark from Williams & Sonoma. It’s the best. Also, Cioppino! Typically our mom will make cioppino on Christmas Eve with fresh seafood from our favorite San Francisco fish market, Sun Fat Seafood Co.
9. Open presents all at once or take turns? Take turns!
10. Favorite Christmas(ish) movie? Like everyone else on the planet, ELF!! Harry Potter 1, 2, and 4 also pair extremely well with the holidays IMO.
Question: How would you answer some of the Holiday survey questions? What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
Lauren’s TwitterMy Tweets
Nicole’s TwitterMy Tweets