Posted by Lauren

On the way to Tahoe last night I started this post about going to the dollar store during my lunch break to pick up cheap road trip snacks. I don’t know about you, but one of the best parts about a road trip is what you’re going to eat during the loooong drive. I grabbed imitation wheat thins off the shelf, some honey wheat pretzel twists (they almost taste like TJ brand), peach rings (Kyle’s fave), Reese’s Pieces, and Hot Tamales (for the ski slopes).

20130110 221649 Holla for a Dolla

I walked back to work and headed straight for the cafeteria for $1.71 soup. I was all kinds of cheap yesterday!

20130110 221820 Holla for a Dolla

Remember how I stuff the salad bar spinach into the bottom of my soup bowl before adding soup? I love this sneaky trick. What I don’t love: the aftermath of turkey chili all. night. long! Uhh… Ya.

20130110 221839 Holla for a Dolla

Kyle and I didn’t make any stops on our way to Tahoe thanks to the dolla snacks and this giant tupperware of carrots and Greek yogurt! The drive was less than 4 hours and that, my friends, is why driving up on a Thursday is 100x better than the traffic you’ll get on a Friday night.

pssst… Tonight I’m going to work on a post about two new fitness-y things I’ve used over the past few days… can you spot them?

20130110 222958 Holla for a Dolla

Friday morning started out with scrambled eggs + salsa and a cinnamon Eggo on the side. I totally forgot how tasty that flavor is! Kyle and I put on 14 warm layers each, packed up the car, and drove off towards Alpine Valley. Our season passes are good at both Squaw and Alpine – two of my all-time favorite CA mountains!

20130111 171135 Holla for a Dolla

To combat the chilly weather, we did the following:

• 5 runs and rest in the lodge for 20 minutes (and I got my first coffee of the day)
  • 5 runs and rest in the lodge for 30 minutes
  • 5 runs and get in the car and turn on the seat warmers as fast as possible!!

20130111 171150 Holla for a Dolla

One more photo, just so I can say GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!

20130111 171215 Holla for a Dolla

Who is watching the division playoffs this weekend?! Kyle, a Denver native, will root for the Broncos and I’ll be cheering on the SF 49ers. It seems like forever since I went to the 49ers vs Lions game with my Cal Poly pals. Ah, good times.

K, I’m off to make Nicole’s famous banana bread, but in muffin form. Wish me luck.

Question: Do you ever shop at the dollar store? The candy is SO cheap and I love their holiday decorations. Design on a dime, am I right?

-Lauren

12 Responses to Holla for a Dolla

1. I love those brooke’s! The more colorful the better :)
    Also, road trip schnacks are my jammm
    Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Meet my Friend! And becoming a fashionista!My Profile

• Sugar Coated Sisters says:

yes! i’m really loving these brooks! i wish Sports Authority had a bigger selection so I could get another pair with gift cards!

2. Kelli H says:

I love reading about your trip to Tahoe! It takes us about 3.5 hours to get there with no traffic and 3 on the way home. Traffic is the worst though!

Good idea about putting spinach in the bottom of soups!
    Kelli H recently posted..Brew Review: Cismontane Brewing Co. Coulter IPAMy Profile

• Sugar Coated Sisters says:

and I love reading about YOUR trips to tahoe! last week we hit some crazy traffic on the way back in sacramento…. some days you get lucky and some days you don’t!

3. hahah, I’ve definitely been a victim of a turkey chili meal…yeah. Be safe and hope you have a great time!
    Olivia @ Life As Liv recently posted..Thankful ThursdayMy Profile

4. Sugar Coated Sisters says:

oooOOOoooOOOoo fancy fitness swag! I for one cannot WAIT to hear about i!

skiing in the freezing sounds absolutely terrible compared to the beautiful San Diego weather and the oceans views that I got today – but hey, you choose skiing as exercise, and I choose dancing till 2 AM ;)

hope the bread is a winner! and hopefully the whole wheat flour doesn’t keep you up all night like the turkey chili! PHEW!

- Nicole

• Sugar Coated Sisters says:

you’re funny, nicole. you know i can’t last until 2 am on the dance floor. i’m too old :( the muffins turned out great! that recipe is so versatile.
      -lauren

5. Heather says:

Leaving on thurs for Tahoe sounds amazing!! We have had 3 hr drives or 8 hr drives out there. Grrrr! I prefer Tahoe in the summer ;-)
    Heather recently posted..Oh I just can’t wait to be King!My Profile

• Sugar Coated Sisters says:

Despite all the awful traffic, I love winter-Tahoe a little more than summer-Tahoe. The snow, cabin fires, comfort food, hot cocoas, and sking are hard to beat!!

6. Here’s how skiing went today:

-One run on the bunny slope during which I immediately fell and knocked my head.
    -One successful run on the bunny slope during which I didn’t fall, and immediately returned my gear after that because there’s no better way to end the day than with a flawless (albeit slow) ride.

Things only got weird when all those 3rd graders passed me, looking like pros as I pizza-slice french-fried my way down the hill….
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Duck… Duck…. GOOSE! (Island Clybourn Tour/Tasting)My Profile

• Sugar Coated Sisters says:

those 3rd graders have nothing better to do with their time – they probably bully all sorts of new pizza slicers off the mountain. don’t take their ISH. stand up to them!